We are here every step of the way to guide you through the process of arranging a funeral, be that a traditional attended funeral service or a non-attended direct cremation or burial funeral. We will support you to make the right decisions for you.

  1. A Medical Certificate for Cause of Death (MCCD) will need to be sent to the Coventry Register Office in order to register the death. You will need to contact your loved one’s GP or the hospital bereavement team, if they passed away in the hospital, they will then send the MCCD directly to the registry office.
  2. Contact the registrar of births, deaths and marriages to register the death. A death must be registered within five days, if the coroner is involved this may be extended.
  3. Once you have registered the death of your loved one the registrar will offer you the ‘Tell Us Once’ service. This service will inform various government departments of the death.
  4. Start to make funeral arrangements with your Coventry Funeral Service funeral director or funeral arranger. They will guide you through what happens next and decisions you will need to make.

When a coroner is needed?

Anyone who is unhappy about the cause of a death can inform a coroner about it, but in most cases a death will be reported to a coroner by a doctor or the police.

Who can register a death?

The person registering the death would usually be a close relative or may be the Executor of the will. If there is no close relative, then one of the following can register the death:

  • someone who was present at the death
  • the occupier of the house or an official from the public building where the death occurs, e.g. the hospital
  • the person making the arrangements with the funeral director

What information do you need to register a death?

  1. Full name of the deceased
  2. Maiden name if the deceased was a woman who was married
  3. Marital status (single, married, widowed or divorced)
  4. Date of birth and place of birth
  5. The deceased’s address
  6. Date of death and place of death
  7. Occupation of the deceased
  8. Were they receiving any DWP benefits, tax credits or State Pension?

It may be useful to gather the following documents:

  • birth certificate
  • marriage/civil partnership certificates
  • NHS number/NHS medical card
  • organ donor card

Tell Us Once service

Tell Us Once is a service that local councils provide in partnership with the DWP.

The DWP will pass on this information to several council services and government departments on your behalf

Many services can be notified with just one call, including:

  • The local council - to update services such as Council Housing, Housing Benefit, Council Tax, Blue Badge and the Electoral Register
  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with personal tax, Child Benefit and Tax Credits claims (contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT)
  • Passport Office - to cancel a British passport.
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to update benefits including State Pension and Universal Credit
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence and to remove registered keeper details
  • Public Sector or Armed Forces Pension Schemes - to update pension records

Dealing with the estate:

  • try to locate a will
  • if there is no will found, you will need to decide who will deal with the deceased’s estate; they may need to contact probate
  • surviving relatives or friends of the deceased may need some legal advice

Letting everyone know

There will probably be far more people to inform about the death than you first thought. It might be helpful to make a list of:

  • family and friends
  • financial i.e., bank, credit cards, accountant, mortgages and pensions
  • household i.e., energy suppliers, Council Tax, landlord and insurances
  • health i.e., doctor dentist, and opticians
  • subscriptions i.e., Netflix, Sky TV, charities and Trade Union

Benefits and financial help:

You may be entitled to make a claim with the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) for a funeral payment.  Call: 0800 1512012. You can also claim by post. Download the claim form SF200.

Arranging the funeral

We are here to offer you as much or as little support as you need and we will go through everything at a pace that suits you.

We can make funeral arrangements with you during a home visit or an online video call.

National contacts


For 24/7 confidential support - call free: 116 123

Citizen’s Advice

Call: 0344 411 1444

Cruse Bereavement Care

For bereavement support, call 0808 808 1677

Money Advice Service

A free impartial money advice service.
Call: 0800 138 7777

We are here to help

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call us.

Address: Coventry Funeral Service
Jackson Road, Coventry CV6 4BT

Telephone:024 7697 7702